Friday, May 20, 2011

Dark Matter(s): Some Thoughts on Darkness

Darkness encourages the use of your non-visual senses: touch, taste, sound and scent. Yum!

If you have never experienced total cave darkness, do so.

The darker the night sky, the more starlight you can see. Funny how that works.

I envy Michael Collins. To have been so utterly alone in the face of so much darkness would almost certainly change a person's perspective. Meditation in a can!

Would I trade weeks of unbroken darkness for weeks of continual sunshine? That pretty much depends on what's on HBO* that season...

If you've never swum in the ocean at night, amend this oversight immediately.

RGB! CMYK! Pink Floyd!
Fact I just made up: Every English-speaking person born between 1945 and 1977 owns or has owned a copy of “The Dark Side of the Moon.” Two thirds of them also have/had the t-shirt.**

Chocolate, wine, coffee, beer and mythology = the darker, the better.

Ordinary matter accounts for less than 5% of the mass of the universe. Dark matter accounts for 23%. Given this, if faced with the opportunity to cross over to the Dark Side, I think I'd jump at the chance. Real estate must be so much more available/affordable.

When working with pigment, black indicates the equal presence of all possible colors. When working with light, it indicates the absolute absence of color. RGB! CYMK! Oh, the fun you can have with a degree in Theater!***

Always wash your darks in cold water. Better yet – get someone else to.

Fill in the circle completely with a dark, Number 2 pencil so the machine can read your answers properly. Good luck.

I <3 Gelflings
“The Dark Crystal” was an awesome movie. I still wish I were a Gelfling. “The Dark Knight” also had a lot going for it, by which I mean it had some nice eye candy for yours truly.

Darkness was the ninth of the much-ballyhooed 10 Biblical Plagues of Egypt, after rivers of blood, throngs of frogs, lice, flies and locusts, sundry diseases and hail. It's probably just me, but I'm not sure a little extra snuggle time in the sack carried the same weight as festering boils. 

I like the Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young song “Dark Star,” but invariably change the lyric to “Bart Starr” in my head.

It was a dark and stormy night...


Today's exercise: Embrace the Dark Side!

Next: Maybe a piece on the seductiveness of nihilism... or a recipe for slow-cooker ribs... or something else entirely. (I should really stop trying to predict these things. I've become such a tease...)



*Shameless self-promotion: Hemingway & Gellhorn coming to HBO in 2012, featuring loads of fantastic Bay Area talent... and even me!

**All of those shirts have holes burned in them from errant concert doobie cinders, not necessarily originating with the wearer.

***Extra credit if you still possess either a lighting stencil or Mehron/Ben Nye/Kryolan powder brush.

No comments:

Post a Comment